Sunday 21 July 2013

Day 19 Book review! The Name of The Wind @_PVBOnline Daily Challenge


Book review! Which is your favourite book? Why?

I do have a favourite book and it is the first of 3 books. It is the only time I have read a book and then waited impatiently for the second part, I marked it on a calendar and wouldn’t you know it, it got delayed it was awful to have to wait. The second part did arrive eventually and it was brilliant too – now I wait for the third – I’m not good at waiting.

My favourite book is “he Name of the Wind” by Patrick Rothfuss and it’s the only time I have rammed a book through someone else's door just so they could read it and we could talk about it. I also wanted to check that it wasn’t my imagination on how beautifully it was written.

Apparently I wasn’t wrong it is indeed a wonderful piece of writing. However my reading chum and I did disagree regarding the main character. I am not sure whether that has something to do with us being different genders. In some books you are guided quite plainly on how you should feel about a character. Kvothe is the protagonist and in these books I honestly don’t believe we guided in our feelings. Having since looked at readers reactions on Amazon then I’m not the only one. There is one discussion titled “Is it just me or is Kvothe a git?” Notice it is a question!

nameofthewind

My friend did not feel the character was flawed enough and this gave him a sense of of dis-ease, I however wasn’t as disturbed by him but wasn’t entirely sure I would want him as a friend.

The Name of the Wind is a big romp of a fantasy tale with magic, evil bad guys and a large landscape with travel. I would heartily encourage anyone to read it and then to read it again and revel in the language used.

Listen to this

'I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

My name is Kvothe.

You may have heard of me'

Seriously go and read this and if you are disappointed I’d really like to know why.